How to create a filter to block specific extensions
Situation – You want to create a filter rule for specific extensions and/or filenames and block them from end-users.
Solution – Follow the below steps to create a new Inbound or Outbound filter to filter specific extensions.
Blocking Specific Extensions
NOTE: Consider reviewing these articles for a more broad view of our filters:
1. Navigate to ‘Security Settings’ and click > Email > Filter Policies
2. Click > New Filter and choose a direction Inbound or Outbound depending on which direction you wish to manage.
3. For Filter Name, enter an appropriate name.
4. Ensure the Direction dropdown has the desired option selected.
5. Click Continue.
6. From the Scope dropdown, select the desired option (i.e. Company or specific users/groups).
7. For If, select Attachment Name.
8. For the next operator, select IS.
9. In the Text Box, input the file extension name you want to block.
10. Examples to block all zip files: *.zip, *.7z, *.rar
11. Block pictures: *.jpg, *.jpeg, *.png
12. From the Do dropdown, select Quarantine.
13. Click Save.
After you click Save, the filter will be enabled and you will return to the filters page. You will see a note confirming Filter added.